Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Last Night's Scare

So, I know I haven't posted in a while, and I have a lot to update when our computer is up and working again, but I have to mention the incident that happened last night. It was about 8'oclock in the evening when this all happened. Taylor had gone over to the "barn" (which is our separate guest house) to play video games. I had put the kids to bed and was watching a movie in the family room. All the lights in the house were off. Suddenly, I see a light turn on behind me- I could see the reflection in the window next to the tv. There was a man standing there in our hallway. I jumped off the couch, turned around and started asking "who's there? what are you doing in here?" He flipped the light back off and ran back to the other side of the house (of course the side where my kids were sleeping) I ran to the kitchen, grabbed a knife, then the phone and dialed for Taylor- he came as fast as he could and ran straight for where I had seen him. We have a door that leads to the back patio from our master bedroom- it was unlocked! So Taylor grabbed the gun and went to the backyard while I checked on the kids and called 911. They were at our house so fast, and made us get the kids and get out of the house. Luckily we have great neighbors and we stayed with them while the cops did their thing- there were so many cops, there were dogs, csi, everything! Of course they didn't find the guy, but the scary thing is that we never-ever use that door, but earlier that day we had a dish network guy putting up our dish, and he used that door. I don't know if it was him, or if he left it unlocked on purpose, or if it was just coincidence that it was unlocked for someone else to get in- all I know is that it terrified me to know that someone was in our house. I took the kids and slept at my parents house. I am just so grateful that my children and my family were not hurt and everything turned out ok. The guy didn't even grab the new wii that was sitting in that same hallway!

7 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh my gosh Therena! That is so scary, I seriously have goosebumps!Glad you guys are all ok!

Hannah + 4 said...

Okay that is so scary!!! I'm always so nervous someone will brake into our house again. Creepy! But thank goodness you guys are okay.

Natalie Francis said...

My mom told me earlier today what happened and I couldn't believe it!!! My sisters swear that people used to come into that house when everyone was gone. It would take me a few nights of sleeping at my parent's house before I was brave enough to head back home. I'm so glad you're all okay!

{becca alder} said...

CREEPY!!!! you sounded pretty brave though, i would have cried like a baby! :) glad everyone is ok!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! This is the scariest story I have ever heard! Did he think no one was home or something?
I am so glad that everyone is okay!

The Olsons said...

That is so scary! I am glad the guy ran off and you are all ok! I would be very freaked out!

Becky said...

I'm sitting here in awe, that is sooooo scary!!!! I don't even know what I would have done. Oddly, a similar thing happened to Jonikka several years ago...they had Cox & an alarm guy working on their house- the next day when she left someone broke in! I'm sure you know the story. Ah!! What a night, I'm glad you guys are ok.

Tawna & I are planning an RME reunion, poss. 2/21...will u be around that day?